With the engineering profession adding significant value to many complex projects, it is not surprising that they are often the target for litigation. Most engineers find that they are required to hold and maintain Professional Indemnity cover to comply with the terms and conditions of their contracts.
- The insured designed and supervised the installation of the building services in an office block. Operational difficulties became apparent with the air-conditioning, allegedly due to a design fault. Amount paid: £150,000
- The insured designed the electrical services for a factory unit. The client alleged that the lighting was inadequate and did not comply with relevant regulations. Amount paid: £120,000
- A design error led to piles being wrongly located, causing structural problems in a new office block. Amount paid: £1,100,000
- It was alleged that parts of an office block structure were of faulty design. Amount paid: £6,000,000
- The client alleged that the design of a water scheme was negligent. Amount paid: £2,250,000
- The roof of a car park designed by the insured started to leak and the client alleged negligence. Amount paid: £225,000.